Saturday, August 27, 2005

Adult Onset Epilepsy

A few, but probably nobody have been following any of my posts, which is fine this is just an outlet for a frustrated quasi-writer, but you may have noticed that it has been months since I have posted anything to my blog. After years of experimenting with different levels of consciousness through yoga, meditation, endurance sports, spirituality and "other"means, I learned at the age of 41 that I have epilepsy. This was a different level of consciousness, but not necessarily desirable.

Waking up in an ambulance with very concerned people shouting your name and then asking your name and the whole time trying to figure out what just happened is a paradigm shift, but not one expected. Oh well, it is said when one is ready the master will appear. Maybe this is my wake up call to start again applying myself to the Path.

I would like to know if anybody else out there has learned that they have epilepsy in their adult years. It has changed my life and in a twisted way I now seem more alive and dedicated to spirituality and family. In my case, the medication they have given me has stopped all seizures and now I'm getting back to a "normal" life.

What are your experiences? If it started later in life did the medication control the seizures? Were you able to stay on one medicine?

I started on Dilantin, but after seeing a Neurologist was changed to Trileptal. I was very wacked for several weeks on the Trileptal and just when I was adjusting the Doctor doubled my dose, but now I am fine.

Please share your experiences. I have found many websites concerning epilepsy but they all seemed to assume that the onset was in adolescent or teen years. I did learn that many artistic and intelligent people had epilepsy. In fact, some believe that it is a by-product of being a genius. So let me here from the rest of you geniuses out there.

Brain Damaged and Happy signing out!

No comments: